It finally happened, and it just might be one of my favorite shows I have EVER seen! The Mystery of Edwin Drood is Charles Dickens’ final (and unfinished) novel. It tells of an unsolved mystery with many suspects, and few clues to who might have done it…whatever it is.
Who, in their right mind, would ever turn an unfinished novel into a Broadway show? Well, no one. So it’s a darn good thing that there have been a couple of crazy people to bring this absolutely hysterical musical right to our doorstep.
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (the musical) is about a company of actors putting on a play about Charles Dicken’s last novel, and it is unlike many shows you’ll see on the stages of Broadway. Why? Because each night the audience has the extreme fortune of choosing the ending.
Roundabout Theatre Company’s revival of the Mystery of Edwin Drood has an amazing cast. I mean, Chita Rivera, Stephanie J. Block, Will Chase…the list goes on and on. Their ensemble consists of some of the most excited people I have ever seen on stage, and they are each fun and overflowing with energy. Their expressions are huge, their voices big, and their personalities boisterous. The company works together like a well-oiled machine, and I was seeing their very first preview performance.
A couple of bullet points to express my favorite things:
- There’s a tad bit of dancing that’s fun and mixes it up just enough.
- Chita Rivera plays her character wonderfully…she’s an absolute riot on stage.
- The humor is very British (as Bree and I decided). It’s not raunchy and it isn’t really slapstick…It’s very intelligent humor.
- There’s references to some other shows.
- There’s two men in a bull costume. We thought one of them might be Kyle Coffman.
- Kyle’s costume is better than the bull. Like, WAAAAY better.
- Stephanie J Block plays three characters, and she gets to throw a Diva-Fit. It was perfection.
- Will Chase has this really awesome brothel bedroom scene that’s pretty priceless.
- The actors quite literally come to YOU during the show. It’s amazing.
- Each section has an actor that introduces the show and then polls the section for the decision.
- Everything I voted for happened…see the END OF THIS POST for the spoiler…
I really loved this show, and I cannot wait to go back. My mom and I are going to try to see the show next week when she’s visiting…Let’s hope I make it that long!
SPOILER ALERT:Highlight to read! Start highlighting here! First, the cast votes to decided whether or not Edwin Drood died. Then, the audience votes for three pieces of the ending (four votes total). -Who is…DICK DATCHERY? The first preview voted Bazzard (Peter Benson). -Who killed Edwin Drood? The first preview voted Rosa Bud (Betsy Wolfe). -Who fell in love? -The man: The first preview voted the Deputy (14-year-old Nicholas Barasch) -The woman: The first preview voted Princess Puffer (Chita Rivera) End highlighting here!
- STAGE TUBE: Meet the Cast of Roundabout’s THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD! (broadwayworld.com)
- STAGE TUBE: Commercial Released for THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD! (broadwayworld.com)
- STAGE TUBE: A Backstage Glimpse at THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD – Stephanie J. Block and More! (broadwayworld.com)
- Roundabout Theatre Company’s The Mystery of Edwin Drood(stephanieisms.wordpress.com)
- Roundabout’s THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD begins previews tonight (boneaubryanbrown.com)
- New Projects: The Mystery of Edwin Drood (fansiesalliance.wordpress.com)